Taylor Christies, Fighter at Heart
Taylor christies, 37, is a unorthodox fighter when it comes to the world of boxing. Shes not a fighter in the sense shes going toe to toe with other girls in the ring. More of the sense shes helping fight those battles in and outside of the ring. Taylor is one of the best boxing trainers in Australia. Her program sees to have her fighters prepared physically and mentally before going into the ring. In 2007, Christies opened up her own facility “Legends Boxing Gym” fighters down under came and studied the sweet sciene. Unfortunately soon after Taylor’s life halted when she was diagnosed with cancer. God gave her the standing 8 count and she knocked out cancer soon after. After getting back up, Taylor grasped after opportunities with a modeling career and reopening another gym “VIP BOXING”. Shes not only helping boxers train but shes bringing youth.
Showing them alternatives than to live a tarnished life and applying themselves to help them grow as a better member of society.This courageous, beautiful aussie brings her own style to training & works hard to get everyone on the same winning concept. I got the chance to interview Taylor Christies about boxing and her life experiences:
I first have to ask how did the sport of boxing grab your attention?
- That’s easy! The sweet science of boxing is like no other sport in the world. It simply becomes apart of you.
What inspired you to take it in your own hands and start your own boxing gym?
- I knew I had so much to give to the sport of boxing. So it just made sense to have my own gym.
What was the most difficult process of starting up and opening up the gym?
- Definitely the cost. I wanted to have the best training equipment and the room to have lots going on at once. For all my fighters a busy gym
means progressive training. Important for all my fighters.
What can one learn and experience in the sport of boxing that other sports dont offer?
- The science behind boxing. Boxing is like a game of chess but not just mentally, physically as well . Imagine being on ur last breathe, to the brink of exhaustion and you still have to be 100% focused. Boxing tests every part of who you are.
What can boxing do for the body to help it remain healthy and fit?
- Boxing is one of the very few sports that works every muscle group in ur body. The strength and conditioning is amazing and it has extremely high cardio. Boxers are amongst the fitness athletes in the world.
Do you think testing and training your body & mind with high intensity helped you battle cancer?
- Boxing has given me personally so much. If I wasn’t so strong mentally and physically, I really don’t think I would have beaten my cancer. I’ve had a great career in modelling & boxing has definitely given me the body for that and the gratification of training kids and fighters. Helping them to become more then they could even imagine is the best feeling in the world.
Getting back on your feet, Working harder than ever. What can you tell us about your new gym?
- VIP is more of a one on one experience. Concentrated training not only for boxing but fitness and weight loss.
Is there any projects right now that you are currently working on?
- Right now I’m really concentrating on VIP Boxing, But later on in the year ill be heading over to California to check out a few gyms. I’m hoping to draw some sort inspiration on maybe encouraging more kids and women into our sport. If all goes well I might think about setting up something in California.